Film Intro Survey
- 1.) What is the first movie that really made a strong impression on you? Forrest Gump is the first movie that really made a strong impression because it had a great soundtrack and it was was able to incorporate the main character into all of the important parts of history during that time.
- 2.) What are 3-4 of your favorite genres? Thriller, Historical, Crime, Comedy
- 3.) What are 3-4 of your least favorite genres? Foreign, Romance, Horror, Drama
- 4.) What are your five favorite films? In no specific order, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, Band of Brothers series, Dark Knight, Inglorious Basterds, Inside Man, Almost Famous
- 5.) List five characteristics of what you consider to be a good movie. Historical Accuracy, Actors/Actresses, Intelligent Characters, Crime, Sountrack
- 6.) Least favorite movies. The Mist, The Grey
- 7.) Characteristics of a bad movie. Poor acting, Cheesiness, Unbelievable
- 8.) Directors. Quentin Tarantino
- 9.) Actors/Actresses. Leo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington, Daniel Day Lewis, Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt
- 10.) Films that students need to see. Gangs of New York, Shawshank Redemption, The Town
- 11.) Important Films. Forrest Gump, Band of Brothers, Oceans 11
- 12.) Oldest Film. Billy Madison, Big Fish
- 13.) Best Movie I've seen that has been released in the last two years. Dark Knight Rises
- 14.) Five films on my queue. The Departed, Goodfellas, Godfather 1&2, Scarface, Django Unchained
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Myst Post 2, Q2: The Tree of Life
I chose to do this myst post on The Tree of Life(2011) and I would give this movie 3 out of 5 stars. Even after seeing the movie, I am not really confident in describing what the plot is. It starts out with Brad Pitt, his wife, and their three sons and they live somewhere in the south. The majority of the film follows around the three sons and the oldest in particular as they do what kids do in their town. There is kind of a strange sequence in the film that shows what I assume to be the start of life and the evolution up until now in the universe. This part of the movie was aesthetically very pleasing and interesting, but I was a little confused as to how that fit into the plot. Then the rest of the movie studies the evolution of the oldest son from bullying his younger brothers to realizing that it is actually wrong. It also follows the evolution of Brad Pitt's character as an abusive father to a more understanding human being in general when he loses his job.
The editing and shots in this movie were really the only things that it had going for it in my opinion. I didn't think it had much of a plot at all. It was more just a work of art. It contained a lot of amazing nature shots that made me feel as if I was running through the town with the pack of little kids causing mischief. My interest in the creativity of the filming is really the only thing that kept me from turning this movie off. I was really just sort of confused throughout the entire movie. There was a solid forty five minutes of the three brothers running around the neighborhood with other kids just doing random things such as breaking windows, playing with a bee bee gun, and traveling through the forrest.
Toward the beginning of the movie, the oldest brother is rather antagonistic. He doesn't get along with his father at all and they continue to fight because he is subordinate. He also bullies his younger brother a lot by doing things such as convincing him to put his finger over the barrel of the bee bee gun. He is one of the leaders of the neighborhood kids when they are doing things such as launching frogs attached to rockets into the sky. Nearing the end of the movie, the older brother realizes that his behavior is just not right. He apologizes to his younger brother for bullying him and he also makes up with his father who is also realizing that he has been a little too hard on his oldest son.
It was hard to rate this movie because the editing and filming was possible the best I have ever seen. However, I think that the plot took a serious hit with all of the focus being directed toward the editing considering there wasn't really a plot at all. It was awesome to watch but at the end of it, I really felt that I hadn't gotten much out of it at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment