http://entertainment.time.com/2011/09/09/warrior-movie-review/Negative Review
http://www.vulture.com/2011/09/movie_review_warrior.html Positive Review
I chose to do my review on the movie Warrior (2011)It seemed to me as though the positive review was more generic and didn't really focus on everything that was at hand. Although it was easier for me to read this review because I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I found myself agreeing with the negative review more. I didn't think that the positive review was all that well written because it basically just said that the movie was awesome. I prefer a positive review, but I really like a review that can also point out what was wrong with the movie. Out of all the movies I have seen, there has yet to be one that I have found absolutely nothing wrong with. Similar to most reviews I have read, this one has a lot of summary of the plot and key points of the movie that really stood out. The tone of this review was very up-beat and high tempo while commenting on the especially uplifting scenes of the movie. The author was primarily focusing on the high-action fight scenes and the awe-factors of the movie. He didn't comment much on the actual story as a whole, which is one of the issues I had about this review. I think that he failed to acknowledge the parts of the movie that could have used some work.
I thought the negative review did a better job of actually reviewing the movie by noting both the positives and negatives of the movie while taking a definite stance. This author felt that certain scenes in the movie were "cheesy" and that the whole thing was just a little too unbelievable. One of the things I really agreed with from this article was how "the story darts around too much". This is something that I actually noticed about the movie. Another point the author made that I really identified with was how the main character hates his alcoholic father so much, yet, he still asks him to be his trainer and they spend hours a day with each other. The tone of the review seemed very skeptical. It was almost as if the author was explaining what the average person would see, then dissecting it and explaining how it's really just fluff. The main point of the author's argument was to explain how their were just too many elements to the story.
"He hates the guy so much he doesn’t want him to bring him a cup of coffee in the morning, but he’ll spend day and night training with him?"
Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2011/09/09/warrior-movie-review/#ixzz25T7mQFij
One of the major story lines is how much both of the sons hate their father, yet one of them is willing to train with him all day. I was wondering the same thing while I was watching the movie.
"The movie leaves you a wreck — yet pumped."
http://www.vulture.com/2011/09/movie_review_warrior.html
I'll admit that I was tearing up a little bit during the final scene. But at the same time, I also felt content because everyone gains something great from the result of the fight. The tears were not from sadness, the scene as a whole is just emotionally gripping.
If I had never seen the movie, I would think that the negative review is more convincing because it doesn't say that the movie is bad, it just points out the things that could be changed. However, this review does make the movie seem a little cheesier and predictable than I found it to be. The other review just seems like someone who likes fighting movies regardless of the story surrounding. The negative review simply seems more honest. The review is written from a more logical standpoint because it focuses more on what is realistic.
One thing that I would include in a review of this film would be the fact that there is just way too much going on. I found that there were certain aspects of the plot that were introduced, but never really followed up on. I would tie into that by commenting on how the movie is a little over two hours long and there are still aspects of the plot that are not explained throughly. I would leave out that Nick Nolte's character wasn't that impressive because I completely disagree with that statement. I felt that his character was crucial to the development of the story and his performance as an actor was spectacular. I would also add that this movie really sends you on an emotional roller coaster. My heart would actually start beating faster during certain scenes because I was just that into what was happening.
Film Intro Survey
- 1.) What is the first movie that really made a strong impression on you? Forrest Gump is the first movie that really made a strong impression because it had a great soundtrack and it was was able to incorporate the main character into all of the important parts of history during that time.
- 2.) What are 3-4 of your favorite genres? Thriller, Historical, Crime, Comedy
- 3.) What are 3-4 of your least favorite genres? Foreign, Romance, Horror, Drama
- 4.) What are your five favorite films? In no specific order, Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, Band of Brothers series, Dark Knight, Inglorious Basterds, Inside Man, Almost Famous
- 5.) List five characteristics of what you consider to be a good movie. Historical Accuracy, Actors/Actresses, Intelligent Characters, Crime, Sountrack
- 6.) Least favorite movies. The Mist, The Grey
- 7.) Characteristics of a bad movie. Poor acting, Cheesiness, Unbelievable
- 8.) Directors. Quentin Tarantino
- 9.) Actors/Actresses. Leo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington, Daniel Day Lewis, Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt
- 10.) Films that students need to see. Gangs of New York, Shawshank Redemption, The Town
- 11.) Important Films. Forrest Gump, Band of Brothers, Oceans 11
- 12.) Oldest Film. Billy Madison, Big Fish
- 13.) Best Movie I've seen that has been released in the last two years. Dark Knight Rises
- 14.) Five films on my queue. The Departed, Goodfellas, Godfather 1&2, Scarface, Django Unchained
Good job here, Evan. Nice analysis, and I like how open you are to reading positive and negative criticism. Looking forward to your reviews. A.
ReplyDelete